[WikiEN-l] Dealing with AOL over vandalism

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 02:39:30 UTC 2003

>Stevertigo wrote
>I nominate Fred Bauder to the task/position of ISP
>contact guy, because hes a professional and
>straightforward guy, And his name is Fred -- a nombre
>which carries volumes of psychologically persuasive
>symbolism that I dont have to go into here.

I think Fred would be a good choice. We have had our disagreements but I do
have a high regard for Fred and he would be a competent choice. But it has
to be made clear, /in Fred's interest/, that he isn't some member acting but
that he is acting /for wikipedia/. Whomever we choose must have the
authority to act, and not be seen as just some activist expressing an
opinion. We must remember that wiki is a community of hundreds of activists,
thousands of participants. It isn't just some ordinary website but an
encyclopædia outpacing Encyclopædia Brittanica in usage on the web, a
serious and credible website, not just some minor website that can be
ignored as can so many of mediocre standard and idiocyncratic membership.
This is a serious website, involving people of great ability and commitment
that far exceeds most locations on the net. If Fred speaks for us, he must
be do so with the full power of wiki behind him; our credibility and
excellence. That must be unambiguously shown and stressed. This is a /real/
encyclopædia, not a discussion group and that /has to be stressed/ to
empower Fred.

JT