distributing 1.0 (was: Re: [WikiEN-l] copyright on old paintings)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 02:10:18 UTC 2003

Richard Grevers wrote:
>And in some countries High-speed internet is charged
>for by data volume transferred. There is no way I'd be
>downloading any ISO images on an account with 1GB/month
>"free" and the rest at $0.2 ber MB.

Eh gads! 1 GB/month? That is so draconian. I do that easily in a week and
periodically in a single day when I'm updating my system. And that is just
/my/ computer; my partner and our roomate use even more bandwidth with online
games and downloading media files (and they are both Windows users so they
also have to update /way/ more often). We are only limited by speed; at any
one moment we are only able to share a single 1.5 MB/s DSL connection.
America is grand!

But the beauty of even having such a restricted pipeline as you do, is that
only one person in your community needs to download the ISO; then many, many
copies can be made of that single file. Then the updates can trickle-in
easily under your 1 GB limit.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)