[WikiEN-l] It is time.. die clock ist ticking... le End c'est nearer..

Steve Vertigum utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 01:15:07 UTC 2003

Dr. Duffy wrote:
"Much of what went on was simply Robert-baiting and
anti-Robertism. That does not make it right, but it is
wrong to attach religious or ethnic connotations to
what has been going on. There have been cases of
jew-baiting on wiki, a few cases, and I have blocked
on the most recent culprits and called for the banning
of another."

This is highly quotable. May I? While I agree with
nearly everything James has said, I disagree that EofT
deserves banning. Punishing one child and not the
other is a typical manifestation of lopsided parenting
- usually resulting in a
great despartity between how they are each treated,
and consequently how they each continue to behave.
Banning EofT, despite his rudeness, and inability to
take good sound advice -- and not banning RK -- in all
fairness, would only exacerbate the percieved problems
of rampant anti-Semitism and philo-Semitism on
Wikipedia.

While one may deserve the other, and while the rest of
the world may deserve neither, this does not mean that
misplaced force will ever solve anything. Of course,
HL Mencken disagreed:  "Hanging one scoundrel, it
appears, does not deter the next. Well, what of it?
The first one is at least disposed of." But then so
many good turn of the century commentarians were
speechless after 1945. Will Rodgers... Harry Truman,
etc. etc.

-S-