[WikiEN-l] It is time to act on two obsessed users who areviolating Sysop re

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:52:43 UTC 2003

>Martin, you really can't stop the harassment, can you? You
>really have no ability to control your rage, do you?
>
>You and Entmoots Of Trools have now created som SIX
>WIKIEPDIA PAGES dedicated to slander and harassment of me
>alone. I can't imagine how many hours you two have spent
>obsessed with me, and damaging Wikipedia in the process. So
>yeah, I do really think that you are in some clinical
>sense, obsessed (i.e. "sick"). You have spent months
>harassing me, so has Entmoots of Trools, and your
>collective harassment and libel is over the top.
>
>Again, I request a ban on both Martin (MyRedDice) and
>EntmootsOfTrools.  I fail to understand why the Wikipedia
>community is still allowing them to create more and more
>Wiki sites dedicated to slander and harssment. They even
>have created fake User Talk pages, which distract readers
>from my genuine User Talk page. That itself is a bannable
>offense.  Wiki Sysops have written to them and asked them
>to stop their harssment multiple times, but they refuse to
>do so. What course of action is left?
>
>Please ban these unrepentant vandals who refuse to follow
>any semblance of Wikietiquette.  This is getting more than
>annoying; it is harassment (in the legal sense of the
>term), and is now bordering on dangerous.
>
>Robert (RK)

A couple of points.

1. EoT's pages are a gross abuse of a fellow user. Under no circumstances
should that treatment of anyone be tolerated.

2. I don't believe Martin handled the situation well, but I do not believe
for one moment that he was trying to harrass Robert. What he was trying to
do, wrongly in my view, but with genuine motivation, was pull together the
multitude of pages EoT has been creating, so that a decision can be taken on
them en bloc. My vote is for their immediate and complete deletion.

Please do not take what I have to say next, Robert, as a personal attack,
because it not intended to be so.

I believe that Robert is a sincere and genuine user. Nevertheless I do
believe is attacks on people have been seriously misguided. Comments about
'jew-baiting' and 'anti-semitism' were wide of the mark. Much of what went
on was simply Robert-baiting and anti-Robertism. That does not make it
right, but it is wrong to attach religious or ethnic connotations to what
has been going on. There have been cases of jew-baiting on wiki, a few
cases, and I have blocked on the most recent culprits and called for the
banning of another.

Robert's predicament reminds me of the boy who cried wolf too often. When
finally the wolf did come and the boy called for help, no-one believed him
because he had cried wolf falsely so many times. Robert's constant accusing
of a large number of people of anti-semitism and jew-baiting, genuinely
though he may have felt it (and I do accept Robert's sincerity) was a
misguided reaction. As a result, when real jew-baiting and real
anti-semitism has been expressed, people have been so fed up reacting to
false charges in the past that they have paid no heed.

Robert's attack on Martin is similarly misguided and unfair. Both are
genuine users doing what they believe is the right thing.  But by over the
top attacks on a genuine user, Robert's past attacks  have undermined the
power of his genuine complaints about the behaviour of EoT.

Please Robert, for your own sake, distinguish between the misguided but well
motivated actions of some people, and those, a very tiny minority, who
deserve criticism. I accept unreservedly Robert's sincerity. Unlike Adam, DW
etc Robert's clashes with people have been motivated by a genuine if
misguided honesty. But please Robert, recognise that others too who clash
with you are sincere and don't make wild and unfair allegations against
them.

Finally, in view of the constant behaviour of EoT, which is quite frankly
highly distasteful, to put it at its mildest, and deeply disrespectful of a
member of the community, and in view of his constant ignoring of appeals
from Jimbo for restraint (which he regularly deletes from his userpage) I
hereby call for the banning of EoT.

JT