[WikiEN-l] Controversial user nicknames

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 21:10:31 UTC 2003

We have a policy about no offensive usernames. But does that cover the names
of famous figures who are themselves controversial? Saddam Hussein is a
classic example. To some he is a middle east hero. To most people he was a
mass-murdering tyrant. In the circumstances it is at the very least
inadvisable to use his name as a user name (even if it produces some
farcical and comical events, as when, in reverting vandalism, I found that I
had to revert the article on Saddam Hussein to the last version by Saddam
Hussein!)

Many other world leaders are themselves controversial to some large segment
of society, with their name if used being seen by some potential potential
wiki users somewhere. One needs only to think of the attitude in parts of
the US towards France to see the problems using 'Jacques Chirac' , the
problems with using 'George Bush' given how he is seen some people
internationally. Ditto with 'Tony Blair', 'Yasser Arafat', 'Ariel Sharon',
'Auguste Pinochet', 'Hugo Chavez', 'Ian Paisley', 'Josef Stalin', 'Chairman
Mao', 'Benito Mussolini', any of the names of the candidates in the
Californian recall election, 'Gerry Adams', 'Maggie Thatcher' etc. The
problem is that, if even the user is absolutely credible in their edits, a
bad choice of name can leave people with suspicions of bias that leads to
others constantly targeting their edits for constant checks. NPOV should
also guide choice of user names, because a proliferation of controversial
names could lead visitors to doubt the neutrality of the site if a snap
visit shows edits being carried out by politically controversial user nics.
Having 'Saddam Hussein' edit articles on the Kurds, for example, could raise
all sorts of fears about impartiality, as would having 'Yasser Arafat'
editing [[Israel]], or 'Lord Wigery' editing pages on Northern Ireland. The
edits may well be fine, but people would approach them with suspicion and
presume a bias until shown otherwise. We have enough to worry about in terms
of NPOV in articles, without badly chosen names creating ill-feeling,
tensions and suspicions also.

I think out policy on user nics should be:

--------

Remember when using a user nic that a controversial name that may colour
other users' perspective on your own credibility or political vewpoint. In
addition remember that wikipedia is a world-wide source book and so take
care in selecting a name to avoid anything that might potentially cause
offence to someone from a different culture, religious or ethnic group. As
such wikipedia recommends that users avoid

1. Names of twentieth or twenty-first century politicians, military or
religious figures or events;
2. Any other names that may be seen as potentially offensive, or endorsing
the politics, policies or beliefs of a public figure.
3. The following specific public names or any variation should not under any
circumstances be used due to their controversial nature and potential
offence:

Adolf Hitler,
Josef Stalin,
Benito Mussolini,
Saddam Hussein,
Chairman Mao,
Pol Pot,
Yasser Arafat,
Ariel Sharon.

4. Historic names (19th century or earlier) may of course be used but the
less controversial the better. People should be able to judge you purely on
your contributions, not an emotional response to a potentially controversial
nickname. Avoiding an offensive or insensitive name is in your own interest.
So do please be careful. Remember you are working as part of a community.
Show everyone else the respect for their beliefs that you expect them to
show to you.

---------

This might seem a small point now, as we don't have that many controversial
user nics. But as wiki grows the number of new users and usernics will
rocket. If two or three people use them and get away with it, the likelihood
is that more new members will follow, on the basis that 'if he can call
himself 'x', then I will call myself 'y'.'  Sooner or later we will face the
problem. It makes sense to do it now, with the small community, than try to
deal with it when there are twice or three times as many users, by which
time offence may already have been caused to some, and potential wikipedians
frightened off by the impression given by the unfortunate use of badly
chosen names.

Any observations?

JT