[WikiEN-l] threats and abuse from IP user

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:30:24 UTC 2003

> [...]
>appeared and added in highly POV rascist material into a page. The material
>could not be substantiated and the language used suggested it was someone
>trying in a very blatent way to POV the article. I reverted the addition
>and notified those who had worked on the article as I suspected they might
>be better placed to deal with the issue. The user in question proceeded to
>re-insert his anti-zionist rant and verbally abuse everyone else who
>touched it. I checked his list of contributions to try to ascertain whether
>this was a rather naive newbie with a problem of grasping NPOV, or a
>vandal. (The page in question had been subject to nakedly sectarian
>vandalism for a while.) All the evidence I could find was of a user who had
>made other contributions that had been seen as vandalism and had been
>reverted elsewhere. When he continued abusing other users, in the belief
>that he was a vandal I blocked him.
>
>He then came back as a new IP added in the same POV stuff and called people
>''fucking morons'', ''fucking hypocrites, etc
>
>Among his talk page comments were
>
><Sarcasm> Yes, I'll admit it: everyone here on Wikipedia is a paid
>propogandist for the worldwise Zionist colonialist genocidal conspiracy!
>That's why we have articles on Israeli terrorism and Deir Yassin massacre,
>and why the Palestinian page doesn't even *contain* the words "terror" or
>"terrorist" or "terrorism". </Sarcasm>  Look, there are lots of facts in
>the world. It's a fact that the Israelis assassinated Muhammad Sadr, the
>Islamic Jihad leader in Hebron. It's a fact that afte that, two Palestinian
>militant groups, Islamic Jihad and Hamas, claimed responsibility for a
>deliberate attack on a civililan bus that killed quite a few people,
>including many children. It's a fact that the Israelis then killed Abu
>Shanab, one of the founders of Hamas, in the Gaza strip.
>
>I have disagreed with some users on the page who have been pushing a less
>than NPOV pro-Israel stance. I reverted and requested the banning of a user
>who inserted rascist anti-Israel attacks all over wiki. I have regularly
>reworded mentions of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict on the current events
>page to remove one-sided comments from either side and ensure equality of
>language and interpretation. I was NOT involved in an edit war with this IP
>contributor. I was simply doing what I was doing with /everyone else/,
>ensuring that NPOV standards were followed. The behaviour and threats of
>the user in question pretty much shows that he was not some poor newbie
>wrongly treated but someone determined to vandalise articles.
>
>/If/ I had abused my sysop powers to 'win' against an opponent, I would not
>have drawn attention to the fact by contacting other users, by putting a
>note on the Vandalism page and sent a note about it around on the wiki
>list, would I?
>
>I stand over my decisions and resent your gross and dishonest

In the above message, I inadvertently included a mistake. In a rush to leave
(I was already 20 minutes late to meet friends), I cut the wrong section.
The above comment marked <sarcasm> was /not/ the bit I meant to put on the
page. That was from Noel who was criticising the anonymous user and, lest
their be any confusion, I am not IN ANY WAY associating Noel with the
behaviour of the anonymous user. I should have cut the line just above it
from the anonymous user, which read

    >>> The more you ugly baboons try to control things and hide the truth,
    >>> the more you contribute to your own perennial replusiveness.

That comment pretty much sums up the attitude, mentality and contributions
of the blocked user. It shows that Toby's presumption that the anonymous was
just some niave and misguided newbie is wide of the mark. And as I said
earlier, I stand by my decision to block him.

And again, apologies to Noel for cutting /his/ sarcastic put down to the
neanderthal ejjit who wrote the above and suggesting that it was part of the
bigot's comments. It wasn't. As we Irish say in gaelic, ''Tá brón orm'' (I
am sorry).

JT