[WikiEN-l] threats and abuse from IP user

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at lcs.mit.edu
Sat Aug 23 02:02:23 UTC 2003

     > From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com>

     >> Blocking IP addresses will work for a while to stop that, but if it
     >> doesn't maybe you'll have to disallow all edits from non-logged-in
     >> users

     > I'm opposed to that, for as long as we can possibly stand it.
     > .. we have to be really vigilant about not letting our fear of
     > vandalism turn into a lockdown or a turn towards closedness.

Ah, I was not disagreeing with you on this; I would only suggest actually
implementing more restrictive access policies (like these ideas) when a
problem *actually happened*, one that couldn't be solved any other way (note
I did say "if it doesn't .. stop [the vandalism]").

I only want you all to ii) be aware that the world contains lots of losers,
and you might want to start musing. slowly and unheatedly, about how you all
would deal with their worst-case antagonistic behaviours, and ii) don't be
afraid to take whatever steps are needed to save the Wikipedia. But I see from
this:

     > I've always said that my goal, my dream, is a free encyclopedia. The
     > 'experiment in anarchy' is secondary at best. So as soon as vandals
     > start to gain the upper hand, we'll do whatever has to be done.

that you're already there on ii)!

On a more upbeat note (to balance my earlier doom and gloom :-) I should not
that you all have a much, much easier problem domain, technically.

If we were to try and fix email's many problems today, it would be a massive
job, because SMTP is implemented in every machine far and wide. If you decide
you need to change something to make Wikipedia "more secure" (alas), you just
change the server, and you're done. Now if you can only get everyone onboard
once you have to do so... :-)

	Noel