[WikiEN-l] threats and abuse from IP user

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sat Aug 23 00:52:56 UTC 2003

james duffy wrote, quoting the vandal du jour:
> Listen you fucking moron, I can use whatever language I want in the
> duscussion pages. The article however, are a different story.

Actually, courtesy to others is mandated at all times, and personal
attacks are neer the right thing to do.  It's completely beyond the
pale for this person or anyone else to call someone a 'moron', fucking
or celibate.

> I have blocked him again. The blocks are on 68.120.204.62, 68.120.205.147
> and 68.120.205.218. Any suggestions about deal with this bigot?

Well, it's very unfortunate, but 68.120.204.* and 68.120.205.* may
find themselves all blocked in a few days if he doesn't give up.

One possibility is to invite him to the mailing list, or to email me.
Maybe I can calm him down, or maybe when faced with the need to
justify his statements, he'll realize that they are inappropriate.

-----

To strike a deeper philosophic note for a second, this is just the
kind of situation that illustrates how important NPOV is.  NPOV is
something that we can all agree on, the "truth" may or may not be.

Is it true that Israel is engaging in policies that are tantamount to
ethnic cleansing?  It doesn't matter, because there's no way to get
consensus on such a claim.  I personally think the claim is ludicrous,
while at the same time being very uncomfortable with a great many
policies of Israel.  But the point is -- some will agree, some won't,
and it's just not the place of Wikipedia to make that sort of claim.

NPOV doesn't mean the same thing as "true".  Of course, everything
that's NPOV is also highly likely to be true, because in order to be
NPOV, just about every damn person shy of lunatics has to agree that
it's true.

--Jimbo