[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 07:26:29 UTC 2003

Rick wrote:
> I was told by mav, out of the blue, that I
> MUST do what the policy says, or my inputs
> on the VfD page will be deleted.  Not the articles
> I put on the page, but my comments on the VfD
> page themselves.

I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way - but I did not say that! I said the
/article/ will not get deleted (my focus was on the deadline; I admit that
without a time qualifer that sentence gives the wrong impression). I should
have been more clear; what I was planning on doing is moving entries that did
not have the notice on the page to a later date and then add the notice. Thus
the clock gets reset in order to give the author of the page and any
interested passerbys to the page time to discuss the deletion proposal. Fair
and open.

LDan wrote:
>What Mav is doing, IMO, is the most, I hate to
>use the term, unwiki thing so far.

You don't know what wiki is then; as Brion pointed out the fact that some
people have the power to delete and undelete when most people don't, we
should take reasonable steps to inform people who might care about the listed
page that it is about to be deleted. The easiest way to do this is to place a
simple notice on the page itself; you don't even have to copy the boilerplate
because it is so easy to remember and type:

"Listed on [[votes for deletion]]"

Easier than even a redirect.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)