[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 00:48:23 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:There has been no policy change at all. Not unilateral, not by
consensus. Someone writing "please" on a web page does not establish
policy. It doesn't even _purport falsely_ to establish policy.

If someone had written, out of the blue: "You are required to post a
notice" -- yeah, that would be wrong. But writing "Please post a
notice" does not imply policy, and *note well*, you can edit that page
just as well as anyone else.

--Jimbo

Jimbo, you haven't been following the history properly.  All of a sudden, on August 17th, mav wrote this on my Talk page:

"When you list a page on Votes for deletion you must say "Listed on Votes for deletion" on the page you are listing. Otherwise the page will not get deleted.--mav 00:59, 17 Aug 2003 (UTC) "

Note the emphasis on "must".  This was the first I had heard of it.  It was never discussed on the mailing list, it doesn't seem to have had any discussion anywhere.  It just suddenly appeared.  And when I questioned it, I was told "It's policy", and if I didn't toe the line, I could lump it.

This is not "please", this is an order.  I was ordered to do as Mav said, based on what someone without comment had put on the Votes for Deletion and Deletion policy pages.  And I had no input into the process.

RickK