[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Vicki Rosenzweig vr at redbird.org
Wed Aug 20 17:25:51 UTC 2003

At 09:35 AM 8/20/03 -0700, Nicholas Wright wrote:
>On Wednesday 20 August 2003 05:07, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
> > And finally, I certainly don't agree with the notion of 'unwashed
> > masses' -- that attitude has no place within my outlook.  The very
> > foundation of our wiki philosophy is that ordinary people can do
> > extraordinary things, so that there's no need for elaborate
> > hierarchies of control.
>
>The hierarchy that appears to have fallen into place unplanned is not
>elaborate at all. It has two levels: Admins - Others.
>
>An admin made a unilateral policy change, and it's being essentially ignored
>or defended by other admins on the grounds that they think the policy is a
>good one.

It would be a hierarchy if people were arguing "He's an admin, and did this, so
we have to accept it" or even "you're not an admin, you don't get to have an
opinion."

What's actually happening--as you state--is that people *agree with* what was
done, and are saying so. What are you suggesting instead? Must we not state
our positions because we're sysops?