[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 12:46:22 UTC 2003

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> I don't agree with either of these sentences.  I
> don't see any way for
> our policy development process to be any more open
> to input from the
> community.  I can't think of a less secretive or
> more noisy way to
> organize anything.  There are no back rooms here --
> everything is done
> in public, with wide advertising throughout the
> system of how it's
> done.  We're always open to suggestions, of course,
> but I think the
> system right now is a model of public
> accountability.

The system right now may have been good in your
opinion, but it was developed without input or notice
of many wikipedians. Maybe some had little input;
maybe it was developed a year or two ago when many of
us hadn't joined wikipedia. But either way, some
wikipedians oppose the system, so it must be
reconsidered

> The second sentence bewilders me completely.  What
> do your scare
> quotes around 'policy' mean?  What do you mean by
> 'forcing openness'?
> Somehow our openness is *imposed* on the world?

We are forced to write the deletion notice. Basically,
you are forcing us, and the other wikipedians, to use
deletion notices.

> And finally, I certainly don't agree with the notion
> of 'unwashed
> masses' -- that attitude has no place within my
> outlook.  The very
> foundation of our wiki philosophy is that ordinary
> people can do
> extraordinary things, so that there's no need for
> elaborate
> hierarchies of control.
>
> --Jimbo
I don't like the use of "unwashed masses" either
LDan