[WikiEN-l] Votes for deletion and due process

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 09:00:37 UTC 2003

Nicholas Knight wrote:
>And these written policies are apparently developed
>in back rooms with no input from the community.
>Convenient for you until you realize it goes directly
>against your "policy" of forcing openness upon the
>unwashed masses.

No, they are almost always developed in the open by documented consensus and
by people who reasonably and in good faith interpret and codify our best
practices. It is my opinion, whoever codified this rule was writing down the
best practice of leaving deletion notices on articles to be deleted, because
doing so is in the spirit of our (largely unwritten) polices of openness and
transparency.  Otherwise some authors may not know why their article was
deleted. We aren't talking about a lot of work here compared with the
potential avoidance of needless ill will.

For example, an article called [[Fumocy]] was recently listed on VfD without
having a VfD notice placed on the article. A week passed and nobody spoke up
for the article. I noticed that this apparently well-researched article was
listed and I tried to confirm the title; I couldn't. I then tried to confirm
some of the information on the page; I could. Apparently the author (a
professional astronomer) and a few of his friends wrote the article using a
brand new term for "full moon cycle" that is not yet (nor may never be)
accepted by the scientific community.

Luckily instead of deleting the article I moved it to the author's userspace
and then later found out all the details. The author, however, was a bit
miffed that there wasn't /any/ notice left on the article that it was about
to be deleted; if a notice had been there, then anybody who knew about the
subject could have argued for keeping the article based on the content
(although the title is wrong). If however, I deleted the article, the author
would not have known why, and the readers likewise would have been denied the
opportunity to defend the article. That is, unless they read every entry
submited to the VfD page; but who has time or want to do that?

IMO, the loss of even one article like this is worse than having 10 crappy
articles slip by our destructo beams. Fairness sometimes requires a bit of
work (of course, in retrospect, whoever wrote the policy to begin with could
have provided a bit more by the way of informing everybody about it; if for
no other reason to ensure that it is followed more-so than not).

>What would have been wrong with the "admin" giving
>some notice before he made what some view as a
>unilateral policy change? Or would that have been too
>inconvenient, since people might disagree?

And is it too inconvenient to leave a deletion notice on an article listed on
VfD because somebody who actually cares about the article might disagree? Two
way street.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)