[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia more popular than Britannica!

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Aug 6 01:04:17 UTC 2003

Oliver Pereira wrote:
> Since I've only just heard of these people, I may be getting this wrong,
> but it seems from what I've been reading that there are two different
> Safras being discussed here. The chap who died in the fire was Edmond
> Jacob Safra (August 6, 1931 or 1932 - December 3, 1999), while the chap
> who bought the "Encyclopaedia Britannica" is his nephew Jacob Safra (born
> c. 1950), who as far as I can tell is still alive...

Ah, this warrants further investigation, then.

Perhaps Jacob could get excited about much cheaper philanthropy to
generate a superior result.  He could close the operation of
Britannica, give the Wikimedia Foundation 1/10th of what he expects to
lose, and authorize us to use the name.

I'll be the new Mortimer Adler, it'll be fun.

--Jimbo