[WikiEN-l] False cries of censorship in State of Israel article

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 21:04:58 UTC 2003

>I'm going to be a bit firm here, but I want to push for a more
>peaceful way of interacting that's more likely to lead to productive
>solutions.  Both RK and Jtdirl are valued contributors in their own
>right.
>
>Robert, I really think you should moderate your tone, because I
>think that doing so will make your comments more effective.
>
>Robert wrote:
> > For reasons I do not understand, Jtdirl is being dishonest
> > about my work on Wikipedia.
>
>It would be better to say "For reasons I do not understand, it seems
>that Jtdirl has misperceived that nature of my work on Wikipedia."
>
>'misperceived' leaves open the question of a moral judgment: was it
>deliberate?  Was it an oversight?  Was it stupidity?  Was it
>forgetfulness?
>
>'seems' leaves open the possibility that with further discussion, it
>may turn out that you were wrong.  'seems' has you only expressing
>your current understanding of the situation, as opposed to a formal
>and final judgment.
>
>Making a moral judgment in a case like this is likely to turn people
>off.  And, really, it runs a very strong risk of being _not true at
>all_.  It strikes me as more likely that jtdirl is mistaken, rather
>than actively dishonest.  Or that you are mistaken.
>
> > "rv yet more RK censorship. Does he ever stop? Does he have
> > a clue what NPOV means?"
>
>I would also recommend jtdirl to avoid such terms as 'censorship' and
>'does he have a clue'?  These are inflammatory and likely to give rise
>to hard feelings rather than productive co-operation.
>
>Better would be 'rv RK.  RK, I'm unconvinced that your edit here is
>NPOV, can we chat on the talk page to reach a compromise?'
>
>--Jimbo

The problem was that an important line lost in an edit had been reinstated
by me in a carefully worded NPOV manner. The issue was being discussed on
the talk page. As he regularly does, RK swept in and deleted the paragraph
including my line without discussion, announcing with his usual
infallibility that it had previously been discussed, without comment on the
talk page. This is his regular behaviour on this and related pages. If he
doesn't approve he denounces it as  "anti-semite" or "pro-Arab" and deletes
it on sight. As Fred Bauder pointed out, the page is rather too POV in its
pro-Israeli contents. Any attempts to so much as mention that there is any
problem fall foul of RK.

The line I had added in related the fact that Israel, which was created as a
typical 'nation-state', suffers from the same problem that exists or has
existed in Ireland, Poland, Germany and some other names, namely that the
'state' (the civil governmental entity) and the 'nation' (a shared sense of
culture, identity, heritage, idenfication etc) are not coterminus. Normally
they are. Where they are not, and the state governs only part of the nation,
or a territory larger than the nation - the case in Israel - problems arise
over how does one deal those who do see themselves as part of the nation but
aren't included in the state, or, and this is Israel's problem, those within
the state who don't define themselves as part of the nation, in Israel's
case the Palestinians. The Oslo Accord proposed one solution; those places
in what is now Israel where there is a different sense of national identity
and sense of nationhood, are given their own right of self-government, in
effect their own 'nation-state'.  The sentence was not perscriptive (there
are articles on the detail of the Israeli-Palestinian dispute) merely
descriptive and NPOV, a basic political science analysis of the theorectical
basis of the modern problem (as to the original problem, claims of Israel
'displacing' Palestine; no-one seriously suggests displacing Israel, which
has a clear and unambiguous right to exist, a right which must be
acknowledged in any solution.)

I called RK's behaviour censorship because I have to say that it how it
looks. On the Israel page and on many others, RK seems to spend most of his
time removing other people's work, calling it POV (ie not his POV which he
thinks is NPOV), anti-semitic and pro-Arab, ie not pro-Israeli enough for
his own liking. I can understand the sensitivity of the Jewish people, given
all they have experienced in terms of rascism and bigotry. Some pro-Israeli
contributors have been excessively protective. (One on the talk page regards
everyone in Israel as part of what he called the "Jewish nation", which he
equates with Israel.  That would come as a surprise to Palestinians, who
most definitely do not regard themselves as part of the Israeli nation, much
less a Jewish one.

But RK goes way overboard (as shown by his disgraceful treatment of
Anthere), removing what he does not like and calling everyone who disagrees
with him anti-semitic. By his actions he damages the very cause he fights
for, reducing the charge of anti-semitism from a serious charge to a term of
abuse, while keeping out from 'his' pages anything that might seriously
offer intellectual insight, as opposed to a pro-Israeli slant. Wiki will
suffer, and the cause for which RK so passionately believes will suffer, by
RK's self-righteous suffication of debate.

JT