[WikiEN-l] 172--what happened

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Apr 1 03:10:00 UTC 2003

> I am not going to justify protecting the page. Rather, I will relate my
> perspective as to what happened.

Danny,

your description of 172's behavior is correct, and it took much patience
to get him to accept a compromise. Regardless, we need to maintain the
sysop/editor distinction -- protecting pages should only be done

1) in cases of obvious vandalism,
2) in an edit war, by an *impartial* third party.

It's similar to page deletion: Sysops are supposed to put pages that they
want deleted (except vandalism) on the "Votes for deletion" page and let
someone else flush them. A sysop in an edit war should contact another
sysop and ask them to protect the page, as a time out measure for all
parties involved.

For the two of us, it is obvious that 172 behaved incorrectly, but for an
outsider, it may look like an abuse of power. That's why we need to
maintain a process that minimizes the potential for such abuse.

Regards,

Erik