[Textbook-l] Power to dictate policy (Was: Game Guides)

Kernigh xkernigh at netscape.net
Tue Jun 13 16:52:33 UTC 2006

Cormac Lawler wrote:
> As far as I see it: the community has control over the content, and
> the board bears the legal liability for the content. Jimbo's unique
> part in this is that he retains the power to dictate policy where he
> deems necessary, and when he thinks a project has veered off course
> significantly from its goals or the goals of the foundation. I'm not
> sure of what other times he has exercised this power, apart from the
> recent debate about the content of Wikibooks - maybe someone else,
> perhaps Jimbo himself, can clarify this.

Excuse me, can you clarify?

How does [[User:Jimbo Wales]] "retain the power to dictate policy"?
Retention requires that you already have the power. When did [[User:Jimbo
Wales]] obtain the power to dictate policy "where he deems necessary"?

I understand that someone in the Wikimedia Foundation can dictate policy in
exceptional cases where that is required, but I do not understand how the
Wikimedia Foundation is organised.

-- [[User:Kernigh]]
   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Kernigh