[Textbook-l] wikiversity licensing

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 25 13:03:37 UTC 2003

[This is going both to the list and directly to mav.]

Mav wrote:

>Jimbo wrote:

>>Anything released under FDL 1.x or 2.0 with no
>>invariant sections, no Front-Cover texts, and no
>>Back-Cover texts can be distributed under the
>>terms of LFDL 2.0 *or* FDL 2.0.  Anything released
>>under FDL 1.x with invariant sections can be released
>>under FDL 2.0.

>>And then LFDL can be simpler and worded carefully
>>so as to maximize compatibility with CC SA.

>Hm. I think you may be on to something here that we could all agree with; I
>get the simplicity and internal copy/paste harmony within Wikimedia that I
>want, and Toby et al get to redistribute any Wikimedia material under the CC
>Att/SA.

Wait, *I* am the leader of the opposition?
I thought that /Karl/ was!
^_^

>But will it work? Could we wholesale relicense all Wikimedia content under the
>LFDL if FDL 2.0 said we could?

Surely we can do that if the FDL says that we can;
what rules are those besides what the FDL says?
We have correctly referred to "any later version", after all.
The question is:  Can we get the FDL to say that?
I certainly hope so!

-- Toby