[Textbook-l] RE: wikiversity licensing

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 07:04:38 UTC 2003

Karl Wick wrote:
> Please show me ANY evidence that RMS and the FSF will be
> flexible about changing their licensing terms how we want
> them.
>
> Otherwise lets get new modules released in some way that is
> not exclusively GNU FDL.

And then we could not use GNU FDL only text created elsewhere (like on
Wikipedia). The advantages of what you want are counteracted by the
disadvantages of confusing users and downstream users and locking out GNU
FDL only text.

Since you own the copyright to all the work you submit, you can release
versions of your text in whatever license you want. But to make things
simple and easy for contributors and downstream users, we should only have
one license for all Wikimedia projects.

-- mav