[teampractices] Why are WMF Department/team pages on mediawiki.org?

Alex Monk amonk at wikimedia.org
Thu May 21 22:23:02 UTC 2015

Thank you for this email, Kevin. This is something that's bugged me for
several years as a mediawiki.org administrator - are these pages actually
within the site scope
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:About#What_MediaWiki.org_is>? (I
don't think I've ever deleted a page for it, but they don't exactly make
sense as mediawiki.org pages)
Some of those really Wikimedia-specific technical pages should  probably be
on wikitech.wikimedia.org, and some of the more WMF-organisation (i.e.
teams) pages on wikimediafoundation.org, in my opinion.

On 21 May 2015 at 23:14, Kevin Smith <ksmith at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Naively, it seems like our home page should be on wikimediafoundation.org
> rather than mediawiki.org.
>
> For engineering departments, it is less clear, but since the entire
> "department" structure is an artifact of the WMF, and not of the mediawiki
> software, my gut reaction would be the same.
>
> Technical pages (such as CirrusSearch) make sense to be on mediawiki.org.
>
> Are there historical or cultural reasons to keep the team pages on
> mediawiki.org?
>

> Kevin Smith
> Agile Coach
> Wikimedia Foundation
>

> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*

Alex Monk
VisualEditor/Editing team
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Krenair_(WMF)