[teampractices] Why are WMF Department/team pages on mediawiki.org?

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Thu May 21 22:14:25 UTC 2015

Naively, it seems like our home page should be on wikimediafoundation.org
rather than mediawiki.org.

For engineering departments, it is less clear, but since the entire
"department" structure is an artifact of the WMF, and not of the mediawiki
software, my gut reaction would be the same.

Technical pages (such as CirrusSearch) make sense to be on mediawiki.org.

Are there historical or cultural reasons to keep the team pages on
mediawiki.org?

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach
Wikimedia Foundation

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Help us make it a reality.*