[teampractices] How to measure changes in stakeholder inclusion due to intervention?

Joel Aufrecht jaufrecht at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 10 22:45:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

Review of the VisualEditor team process uncovered some challenges,
including
<goog_28420014>Consulting stakeholders have difficulty engaging with VE’s
development
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/2015_Process_Review#.281.29_Consulting_stakeholders_have_difficulty_engaging_with_VE.E2.80.99s_development.>
The team is experimenting with addressing this via "Service Level
Understanding discussions
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/2015_Process_Review#Recommendation:_Negotiate_Service_Level_Understandings_between_stakeholders.2C_use_this_discussion_to_uncover_conflicting_commitments.2C_and_facilitate_trade-off_decisions.>.

My question is, how can we measure what affect these discussions have?
Arthur suggested a survey.  I would welcome any input into how best to
measure this, whether through a survey or other means.  Also, how would we
isolate any changes due to the intervention, compared to changes due to the
observation effect or to other factors?  I'm not looking for strong
statistical validity, just some indication worth the cost of measurement.
If it's a survey, I could put together something but if there are
Foundation people with professional experience in evaluation I would
certainly love to get a bit of help from you or anyone you can suggest.

Thanks,

*Joel Aufrecht*
Team Practices Group
Wikimedia Foundation