[Mediawiki-l] Is it possible to instal MediaWiki on a Sun machine?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 26 20:55:35 UTC 2004

On Oct 26, 2004, at 1:43 PM, Rich Points wrote:
> I've been trying to install MediaWiki on a Sun Solaris machine for
> about two months now.  I've consulted with three programmers and
> written to several lists and no one can figure it out.  Has anyone out
> there installed MediaWiki on this type of machine?

I did test MediaWiki 1.2 briefly on a Solaris 9/x86 box. I never got
the TeX plugin working, but other than that it seemed fine. Can you be
a bit more specific on what you've tried so far, and what the problem
seems to be?

Briefly, you need:
* Apache
* PHP
* MySQL
... for a basic install that should be it.

I think Sun ships an Apache package, if not you can get it from
http://sunfreeware.com/

I'm not aware of a PHP package, but you can install it from source
easily enough: http://www.php.net/  (If you don't have a C compiler
installed, you can get GCC from sunfreeware.com.) I would recommend PHP
4.3.9 rather than 5.0.2 as we don't yet bundle the updated PHPTAL
template library needed to make the default page layout work on PHP5.

MySQL 3.x packages are available on sunfreeware.com. MySQL 4.0 binaries
for Solaris are available direct from MySQL at
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html

I would recommend MySQL 4.0; 4.1 and higher have various oddities that
may cause problems.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)