[Mediawiki-l] language, images, mediawiki 1.4, special messages and customization

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Dec 18 20:45:14 UTC 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Morten Blaabjerg wrote:
> Another concern of mine, is images. Since my server runs in PHP Safe
> Mode, image upload is automatically disabled

Image upload is *always* automatically disabled. This is for security
reasons; uploading arbitrary data to your web server is potentially
dangerous, and it's a) safer to have it off and b) it wouldn't work
anyway until you fix up permissions in the images directory.

Search the list archives for previous questions about uploads in safe
mode. (Use google and add site:mail.wikipedia.org to your query.)

In 1.4 you can now suppress the hashed subdirectories (which cause most
of the trouble with Safe Mode) but you may still need to add temp,
archive, and thumb subdirectories and make them all writable. Set
$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false in LocalSettings.php

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)