[Licom-l] Dual-licensing confusion

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri May 29 07:58:13 UTC 2009

The position articulated in discussions at Meta (and Erik please
correct me if I misstate this), is that:

A) Wikipedians are required by the license to identify the previous
work whenever they import externally produced CC-BY-SA content.  Such
a notation should exist at least in the edit summary, but might also
be recorded elsewhere (e.g. a talk page, or whatever).  [Strictly
speaking previous work should also be identified when content is moved
between wiki articles as well.]

B) Reusers are expected to review the edit history to see whether
CC-BY-SA-only content has been imported.  And reusers bear full
responsibility for determining if that is the case and ensuring they
honor the licenses correctly.

As I understand it, that is the full scope of the requirements.

However, individual communities may choose to go further and provide
efforts to voluntarily label materials that are CC-BY-SA-only, such as
through a Category system.

-Robert Rohde