[Licom-l] Remaining to-dos

Andrew Leung andrewcleung at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 05:20:59 UTC 2009

As I mentioned earlier, Google Map & Google Earth still display GFDL message.

Some images in Commons with GFDL 1.2-only has been converted to later version (or dual-licensed) since it has been advertised on Village pump (page link: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:License_Migration_Task_Force/Licensing_change_by_uploader). It will definitely benefit all projects if an Commons admin post it on header announcement.

Similar efforts have proven to be successful. In Vietnamese Wikipedia, out of 24 images which use the 1.2-only template, 6 images have been changed to a different license and 3 images are currently under community discussion to determine whether those images will be deleted if the uploader doesn't change the licensing terms. (The remaining 15 images are either copyvio or no source and will be deleted in a week).

It's clear that even though we did something to persaude license changes by uploaders, we're definitely not doing enough to promote and get the message across.

Andrew

"Fill the world with children who care and things start looking up."