[Licom-l] Login bug

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sun Apr 12 14:12:08 UTC 2009

There's a bug which we failed to properly identify during beta testing.
I guess everyone dismissed it as a temporary issue. When you click the
jump button on a Wikimedia wiki, you will be told you are not logged in
and cannot vote. If you then click back, then click the jump button
again, it will work. This is because the login subpage fails to properly
create a session and set a cookie. The error page does create a session,
which means that the second attempt, with session created, works.

I've applied a probable fix in subversion and asked Michael by email to
deploy it, but I haven't heard from him today and it might be some time
before he responds. In any case, we've recorded about 140 votes so far,
over 2 hours, so I guess the bug is not an obstacle for many people.

-- Tim Starling