[Licom-l] Launch: still 2 April?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:12:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My quasi-tally suggests we have started translations covering enough
>> pages + languages to cover 80% of what we'd need to reach everyone.
>> Which is good.  If that can reach 90% in the next couple days, I'd be
>> thrilled.  Obviously we won't have everyone, and some translations
>> will come in once we have the global site notice.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> The most active languages that haven't started at all are Bulgarian
>> (BG), Serbian (SR), and Ukranian (UK).
>>

> I've e-mailed someone from each of these languages asking them to help
> or poke someone else.
>
> It's interesting how you come up with these languages.  We have our
> own priority system at Transcom:
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transcom#Possible_core_set_of_languages>.

Well it is a testament to your efforts that I had to go down to the
20th largest language group to find one that hadn't been started.  :-)

I'm focusing on the size of the wikis in each language, which of
course ignores the question of whether those authors might also be
comfortable in English or French (for example).  So it certainly is
possible that many more people will be able to participate based on a
second language they feel comfortable with.

Curiously, the transcom list explicitly includes Bengali and Hindi.
Though widely used in the real world these have only tiny communities
on the active projects and so would rate very poorly on my list.
Also, neither has been started.

-Robert