[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] [breaking change] [tool labs] jsub default changed to --release=trusty

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 26 17:57:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM, MarcoAurelio <strigiwm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Bryan and fellow Tool Labs users,
>
> Thanks for this. Sorry if the question sounds obvious for most of you, but
> as beginner in this, I sometimes have doubts.

No worries. These are actually good questions!

> I run a bot cronned on Tool Labs and I'm using a syntax like "jsub -N
> jobname -l release=trusty (...)". Should I continue to add that "-l
> release=trusty" on the cron and the jobs I submit to the grid?

Yes, we recommend keeping the "-l release=trusty" in the command. The
jsub process will currently give a warning on stderr if no "-l
release=..." argument is present. Setting "-l release=trusty" is the
same as the default today, but it will keep you from seeing that nag
message.

> You also mention jsub. I wonder that jobs with jstart are also affected and
> thus the same -l release=trusty ain't needed anymore?

The jsub, jstart, and qcronsub commands are all actually the same
program, so the "-l release=trusty" advice applies to any of them that
you may be using. The only difference between these three names is
default arguments:

* jstart ... == jsub -continuous -once ...
* qcronsub ... == jsub -once ...

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA