[Labs-l] exposing web socket on labs

Anthony Di Franco di.franco at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:12:08 UTC 2015

Hi all,
 Max Klein and I have been working on a service that listens to the recent
changes stream <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/RCStream> and looks at
the edits to the pages and extracts information about what was edited and
re-publishes that on another websocket. We've modified Ed Summers'
wikistream <https://github.com/edsu/wikistream> to display the changes by
making it listen on a websocket for changes instead of an IRC connection as
the original did. Now we're trying to get it all deployed and running and
some questions have come up around how the tools-labs resources work in
exposing things to the outside network.
 We first tried setting up our server using webservice start as described
here <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tool_Labs/Web> under "other
web servers", but while the changes stream was being published from the
server app and webapp got served properly into the browser we couldn't see
our websocket from the outside network to receive the changes stream. We
then moved on to trying to deploy to own subdomain as is done in the
original but had similar problems (though by that point we were more
disorganized after the accumulated changes we made to the original in our
first attempt).
 That being the case I'd like to ask in general about how proxing works in
the labs environments for the different deployment options and specifically
what would be the best strategy for deploying this service in a way that it
can expose a websocket to the outside network.
Thanks for the help
Anthony