[Labs-l] Fingerprint change

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:11:40 UTC 2015

On 26/08/15 19:41, Andrew Bogott wrote:
> On 8/26/15 12:18 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada wrote:
>> It looks like a temporal error. Now there is no warning.
>
> This happens when our network service crashes.  While the network
> service is down, all traffic bound for a specific instance instead hits
> the network server.  Ssh blithely tries to log in there, sees the wrong
> host key, and complains.
>
> This was a side-effect of the upgrade I'm in the middle of.  I'm done
> with the networking stuff so the problem shouldn't recur immediately.  I
> don't know how to avoid it entirely :(
>
> -A

As that host is not supposed to get any connection, I would put a Banner
entry on sshd_config saying "This is not the drone you were expecting to
log into" (or a more elaborate phrase of your email :P).
That would at least hint that instead of panicking we should go to irc
to bug you for crashing the network service ;)

Best regards