[Labs-l] IMPORTANT: ldap renaming -- possible interruptions to logins, sudo, dns

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 26 17:47:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Quick summary:
>
> If you are only a tool labs user, you can ignore this email.
>
> If you work in a non-tools project and all of your instances are happily
> puppetized and talking to the central puppet server, you can probably ignore
> this email.
>
> If you work in a non-tools project and you have a local puppetmaster or use
> role::puppet::self, you MUST apply the following patches to your instance,
> or you may LOSE ALL ACCESS to your labs instances:
>
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/159740
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/162689

Here's what I did to update one host that has role::puppet::self applied:

$ cd /var/lib/git/operations/puppet
$ sudo git fetch origin
$ sudo git rebase origin/production
## verified with git log that Andrew's patches were present locally
$ sudo puppet agent --test --verbose
## Could not start Service[puppetmaster] failure messages seen
$ sudo service puppetmaster stop
$ sudo service puppetmaster start
$ sudo puppet agent --test --verbose
## clean puppet run

Hope that helps someone.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA