[Labs-l] Look-and-listen-map on Tool-labs

Marc-André Pelletier mpelletier at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 20 12:17:31 UTC 2014

On 08/20/2014 05:03 AM, Peter Wendorff wrote:
> - the Lalm is not a tool for wikipedia itself, it's an experimental
> portal for blind and visually impaired to navigate on the Openstreetmap
> data.

Labs is made available for work for the Wikimedia projects, but also for
"allied" and related projects.  OSM is one of them.  :-)

> - It is written in Java and needs a Servlet container or the ability to
> run it's own jetty instance.

Tool Labs supports running servlets from Tomcat at this time, so that
may fit your needs.

Alternately, you may want to investigate using your own project for
this.  At the cost of slightly higher complexity (you have to administer
your own environment) you can set it up in the exact way you need it.

> - It needs some kind of a raw openstreetmap database for now, although
> it might be possible to implement an adapter to the publicly accessible
> overpass-api for that.

I'm not entirely up-to-date on the current status of OSM support but
unless I am mistaken that is already possible right now.  The staffer at
the Foundation that would be able to tell you the details is Alexandros
(akosiaris at wikimedia.org).

> Who is the responsible person or group to talk to about this? Or do you
> know that there's no chance at all on labs (or similar)?

You already have.  :-)

-- Marc