[Labs-l] Simple way to monitor status of tools for tool authors

Yuvi Panda yuvipanda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:45:49 UTC 2013

Hello!

As I put up more tools on toollabs, I find myself wanting monitoring
more and more to alert me when something related to my tool is down.
While there can be current solutions hacked up by various methods
(mine mentions me on github *shudder*), I think having a simple
solution that's puppetized and usable in a simple way by everyone is
something we should have.

I've written up a simple page listing requirements for such a service,
and will perhaps add implementation details once I've read docs more.
The page is at:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yuvipanda/Icinga_for_tools

I know nothing of monitoring or icinga, so people with more knowledge
- please chime in! Also if you are a tool author and have more
requests / features that would be useful that I'm missing, please
chime in too.

Thanks!

--
Yuvi Panda T