[Labs-l] GLAM tool testing, & what to port next

Johannes Kroll johannes.kroll at wikimedia.de
Mon Jul 22 10:16:58 UTC 2013

Hi all!

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:03:04 -0400
Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> People on this list may be interested in the monthly Tool Testing
> Reports of the GLAM community:
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:This_Month_in_GLAM_Tool_testing_reports
> , especially the June one
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/June_2013/Contents/Tool_testing_report
> .
>
> In the June report, author Daniel Mietchen writes about Magnus Manske's
> popular tools, such as Quick Intersection, BaGLAMa and GLAMorous, and
> explains what they do.  Also via that report I found
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Magnus_Manske/tools2port , in which
> Magnus asks users what he should prioritize moving over to Labs:
>
> > This is a list of my tools on the toolserver, which I should port to WMFLabs. I don't really know the priorities here, and some tools I have no idea what they do anymore ;-)
> >
> > Please help me annotate which ones to port first, and which ones can be ignored...
>
> Thanks to Magnus for all his tool-making! :)

While we're on the topic of category-related tools like Quick
Intersection, I'd like to remind you that CatGraph, a custom graph
database service, is ready and available for use by tool authors. It
was initiated by Daniel Kinzler after he wrote the original Catscan.
Using CatGraph, you can do category-based recursive queries a *lot*
faster than using SQL. It can be used from either tool labs or the
toolserver. Tool devs can find more information about it here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Johannes_Kroll_%28WMDE%29/CatGraph-en

We put a lot of time into developing and testing this database. The
thing is up and running now, so feel free to start using it. Not all
languages are available yet, you can find a list at the page above. If
you have any questions or feature requests, feel free to contact me.

 - J.

--
Johannes Kroll
Softwareentwickler

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | NEU: Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das