[Labs-l] More Puppet questions

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 29 18:32:18 UTC 2013

On 1/29/13 10:08 AM, Silke Meyer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Again, I have gathered some questions:
>
> If I don't force a puppet run, how often does it run per default?
About every 30 minutes.  This is configurable but I've never known us to
override it.

> If my puppet files have been merged on gerrit, do I still have to check
> the "puppetmaster::self check box?
Nope!  puppetmaster::self causes puppet to use the local files in
/var/lib/git/operations/puppet (aka /etc/puppet) rather than the
official puppet files and manifests.  Once a change has been merged it
becomes part of the official set and is applied to all systems.

The configuration of self-hosting systems will lag behind since they are
still using their local manifests and are more-or-less unaware to the
official manifests.

> How do you decide what is a module and what is "just" a manifest?
Modules are the future!  Manifests that stand outside of modules are
legacy code which will (someday) be refactored into modules.

If you're altering existing puppet code and don't have grand refactoring
ambitions,  you should just edit whatever is there now (manifest or
module).  If you're building a new feature, you should dive in and make
a module.

> operations/puppet/modules/mediawiki_new. (Before the naming "_new" of
> that folder made me think I was not supposed to use it because probably
> someone just tried something.)

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that modules/mediawiki_new is meant
to be used for production mediawiki installation (and deployment-prep).
The single-node manifests you've been working on are specifically
intended for labs prototypes and demos; it's unlikely that the two will
ever converge.