[Labs-l] Hello, and the short term plans

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 26 22:29:12 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 09:57 PM, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> "Marc A. Pelletier" <marc at uberbox.org> wrote:
>
>>> "PPD" = "Perl Package Manager"?  No, I thought of run-of-
>
>> I flubbed this, I meant "PPA":
>
>> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA
>
> Ah, Ubuntu!  I thought of duplicating the existing processes
> for WMF-specific .debs.  PPA looks appropriate as well (or
> even more), but external services means security risks to be
> assessed and, if the PPA is maintained by non-WMF admins,
> that there may be delays until patches are integrated.

All of Launchpad is actually now open source
(http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-is-now-open-source).  I
don't know if it's currently worth it, but Labs could have a local Soyuz
(https://dev.launchpad.net/Soyuz/HowToUseSoyuzLocally) install.

If I understand right, this is the total package (no pun intended):
primarily build daemon and web server packages.  I'm not sure if you can
use add-apt-repository with it or not.

Matt Flaschen