[Labs-l] Labs ToU item 10: Wikimedia logos

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 26 01:18:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM, <rogerchrisman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Item 10 of Labs Terms of Use[i] states: "Use of Wikimedia logos is
> prohibited inside of Labs projects."
>
> So:
>
> 1. Does this prohibit the use of WMF project logos, like the Wikipedia
> logo, Wikivoyage logo, etc?

The point is to reduce user confusion, so I think the answer here is "yes".
I'm working on a revision to this to make the whole thing more clear, and
I'll make sure to address this there.

> 2. Could someone please update item 10 to explain exceptions such as
> the beta labs Wikipedia [ii] and beta labs Wikivoyage [iii] use of
> their respective logos?

I've asked Ryan to work on getting logos like those removed from the
default test installs and replaced with something more appropriately
beta-y. Not clear yet if that is doable in a reasonable amount of work; if
it isn't, we'll discuss again then.

> 3. Should the Labs ToU page on mediawiki.org be protected from edits?

Probably :)

> 4. Should the Labs ToU page be hosted on wikimedia.org or somewhere
> else instead of mediawiki.org?

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

Thanks-
Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*