[Labs-l] Self Hosted puppetmaster with puppet clients?

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Apr 3 22:26:02 UTC 2013

Ryan Lane <rlane32 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Oh totally, branch fo sho.  Then I wouldn't have to git review all the
>> commits, just squashed commits back to production branch.

>> But, Ryan you avoided the questions! :)  Maybe this just hasn't been done
>> before.  May I try?

> puppetmaster::self would need to be modified for this, or another class
> would need to be made for it. It's not been done yet.

I think I dropped this idea somewhere already, but I think
it would be nice if puppetmaster::self accepted a parameter
that links to a Git repository and branch and took the con-
figuration from there.  In development cycles, you clone the
production repository to GitHub or wherever, test changes
and commit, then, when your changes are merged in Gerrit and
you have achieved a more stable configuration, you point
back to the production repository so that the instance pulls
any updates from there without having to tear down/create
new instances.

Tim