[Labs-l] Self Hosted puppetmaster with puppet clients?

Andrew Otto otto at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 3 15:55:08 UTC 2013

Yeah, not a bad idea.  Or I could just set up self hosted puppetmaster on all nodes and just rsync or git-deploy the changes from one to the others.  Either way.

> It may be possible, but would likely be quite a mess.
Why would it be a mess?  It would only be a one time config change on the puppet agents (as well as signing the puppet certs on the puppetmaster).

> Ordinarily you would develop your changes on a single instance and get them reviewed and merged before applying to other instances.
In this case, no.  Kraken is a cluster setup (Hadoop, Kafka, Zookeeper, Storm, etc.), and the puppetization will be developed in labs.  I need to test the changes somewhere before they are reviewed and merged.