[Labs-l] Self Hosted puppetmaster with puppet clients?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 3 15:26:45 UTC 2013

On 4/3/13 10:16 AM, Andrew Otto wrote:
> Hi yalls,
>
> Analytics will soon be working on a kraken labs project.  We'd like to
> have a few nodes there, probably starting with 5, but possibly up to
> 10ish.
>
> Is it possible/allowed to set up self-hosted puppetmaster on a single
> one of these nodes, and have the other puppet clients point at it?

It may be possible, but would likely be quite a mess.  Ordinarily you
would develop your changes on a single instance and get them reviewed
and merged before applying to other instances.

If there's a complicated reason why that won't work (for example, you
need to test them on multiple nodes before you regard them as correct
enough to merge) then here's the hacky method I would recommend:

1)  Install puppetmaster::self on all nodes
2)  Commit your in-testing patch to gerrit, but mark it as a 'work in
progress' in review so that reviewers know to ignore it
3)  Use the cherry-pick gizmo in gerrit to cherry-pick the patch onto
other nodes
4)  test
5)  go to step 2

I use that process pretty frequently; it's not as big of a pain as it
sounds.  Ryan can probably set you up with a spiffy one-step salt
command to perform step 3 on many nodes at once.  I don't know the
syntax for this offhand.

-Andrew