[Labs-l] Starting migration to new hardware today, expect some downtime on your instances

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:20:35 UTC 2012

I noticed a few instances down after migration. After doing some
investigation, it seems that the KVM block migration is causing
corruption of the images on the destination host. Any instance
migrated is likely corrupted and will likely need to be rebuilt.
Needless to say, I'm going to stop doing migrations via this method
now. I'm going to try another, more annoying, way of doing migrations
now.

If you need to retrieve data off of an instance, and can not do so
because the instance is down or is too messed up, let me know and I'll
mount the disks and retrieve the data for you. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Here's a list of instances that were migrated and are likely corrupted
(it's 34 instances):

i-00000309
i-0000030a
i-0000030b