[HipHop] progress and ssh access

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 18:14:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Paul Tarjan <pt at fb.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, do you have an apache config or nginx config we can base it off of?
>>>

>>Hadn't gotten that far, was just going to run it on 8080 and then
>>see if it spun up.
>
> Well, how do you run your site now? Emulating that config might be easiest.
>
> You can try `git pull && make` and it should work. My compile will take a
> bunch of time over NFS until I get sudo sorted out.

Ah, well all of our configuration is in our puppet repository that we manage
in Gerrit[0]. Right now the setup is (very roughly):

Request comes in -> Hits squids if you're anonymous -> Hits apache
pool if you're logged in or page isn't in cache -> Apache returns to
squid, squid returns results.

Only difference with SSL is there's nginx sitting in front of squid for SSL
termination.

I think this would mostly remain the same in a HipHop world. For testing
here, I allocated hhvm.wmflabs.org to the instance. We can make some
tweaks to Apache to make it proxy 8080 -> 80--I will work on getting that
puppetized.

-Chad

[0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/operations/puppet