[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri May 5 21:26:09 UTC 2006

Hoi,
There is one crucial difference between the en.wikisource.org and the
commons.wikimedia.org. The first is independent and all projects
should be able to depend on the second. Commons is not a project that
runs in a vacuum. The other projects are using Commons as as service.
They are involved in their own project. They do not really care about
anything else.

You laugh at the idea of the communities being your customers. I
wonder for whom you are doing all the good work that you are doing.
You want to consider the opinion of people who get their hands dirty.
I would say that the people, these customers make their hands dirty,
just not on commons.

In the past we have had issues the .svg being a notorious one. The
consequence has been that many people I know off do not post to
Commons anymore. A proposal on one project I know of to post only on
Commons was defeated because of the resulting sentiments. Indeed it is
your project, you do good work but your challenge is to do great work.

In my honest opinion, and that is for now the last of it, you need to
improve the communication to improve the image of Commons.

Thanks,
   GerardM