[Foundation-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 16:43:40 UTC 2006

(I'm copying this to wikien-l since the issue of whether the English
Wikipedia needs its own "meta" is probably better discussed there. See
<http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-March/thread.html>
for previous mails.)

Alex Schenck <linuxbeak at gmail.com> wrote:
> A.) It would be heavily based upon most of the policies from en.wikipedia.
> Some things can change, but it will be a site designed with the purpose of
> being an extention of en.wikipedia instead of an entirely separate project.
> Meta2 will exist for Wikipedia instead of being a standalone project.

Does the community on the English Wikipedia need or want to be
expanded in this way?

There has always been some opposition to moving anything to meta
(though perhaps single login will alleviate some of the concerns).

There is currently confusion about what should be on the English
Wikipedia and what should be on meta. "Don't be a dick" is on meta,
but "Wikipedia:Complete bollocks" is on Wikipedia. Recentism is on
Wikipedia, deletionism is on meta.

Is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_essays
supposed to be different to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Essays ?

Are chess, quizzes, and humor pages supposed to be on meta or en?
(They're currently on both).

Are you suggesting that all of this stuff would move to Meta2? Is
there any advantage to that? Is there likely to be any agreement about
it within the English Wikipedia community?

Angela.