[Foundation-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

amgine at saewyc.net amgine at saewyc.net
Thu Mar 30 16:43:29 UTC 2006

> Well, besides from being a clean canvas that we can work from, it would
> boast some things that Meta currently does not:
>
> A.) It would be heavily based upon most of the policies from en.wikipedia.
> Some things can change, but it will be a site designed with the purpose of
> being an extention of en.wikipedia instead of an entirely separate
> project.
> Meta2 will exist for Wikipedia instead of being a standalone project.
>
> B.) Seeing that it is being built from the ground up, it will be several
> exponential degrees easier to keep things organized in a clear and concise
> manner. Read: categorization.
>
> C.) It would be much cleaner and accessible by regular Wikipedians. Meta
> as
> it stands right now frightens many people on en. I know... I've talked to
> them.
>
> D.) Old material three years from now would be in a category called
> "archive" or something akin.
>
> E.) It would have the potential expandability that Meta boasts, except in
> more defined and controlable setting.
>
> As far as the essays are concerned, I was only using that as an example. I
> apologize if that caused any confusion.
>
> Angela, I really hope you don't think that we're trying to completely
> destroy Wikimedia. The very reason why we're sticking around is because we
> like this project. I've made some fabulous friends here, including
> yourself,
> Anthere, David, Jimbo, and so on and so forth. I know I have a tendency to
> create total havoc, but I do so in the attempt to improve, not destroy.
> We're only trying to push the envelope a little further. If you can give
> us
> the resources to do such, you will not be disappointed.
>
> --Alex

I think this response neatly proves Angela's point: en.Wikipedia is not
interested in collaboration, but wishes to have a separate wiki for itself
to play on.

The concept has merit, but it also suggests that every large project has
these needs. At what stage are Wikipedias granted a meta sandbox? 100 000
users? 500 000 articles? Meta was originally set up when en.Wikipedia had
100 000 articles or less; perhaps we should set up these sandbox wikis at
50 000?

Of course en.Wikipedia could, instead, be one of the "tribes inhabiting
the ruins" and simply continue to work on Meta, like all the rest of the
projects.

Amgine