[Foundation-l] New Wikimedia Committees

Garion1000 garion1000 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 01:58:18 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> On 1/29/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> > A proper executive director for the organization will have decades (yes,
> > decades!) of experience at a major international public facing charity
> > with a strong volunteer component.  An ideal candidate should have
> > extensive experience at an executive level with: fundraising, regulatory
> > compliance, international chapters, donor relations management,
> > staffing, budgeting, etc.
> >
> What kind of salary do you think someone like that is going to get?
> You bring up the Red Cross as an example in another post, the top
> executives at that organization make around half a million a year.
> Hiring from the outside is probably going to be expensive, though if
> there's no one competant on the inside it might be more expensive not
> to do so.

That is indeed something to be considered carefully. It recently happened in
the Netherlands when the salary of the chair person of the heart foundation
was revealed. (which was a lot). He finally resigned and the heart
foundation lost a whole lot of money (and good will) in their following
fundraising activities. Not that I think wikimedia will ever pay as much as
that though.

Garion