[Foundation-l] Outsiders on the Board? (was Re: Poll for Wikistandards)

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 14:44:40 UTC 2006

In a message dated 1/29/2006 9:05:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au writes:

If  Wikimedia needs qualified outside help, it's in operations, not
oversight.  Only an elected board, accountable to the Wikimedia
community, can ensure  that the principles that the community holds dear
are upheld.

Some  committees might benefit from the guidance of qualified outsiders,
but the  committees should still be dominated by volunteers, either
selected by a  transparent and fair process with Board oversight or, as
Erik suggests,  with open membership.

Actually, as Wikipedia grows it requires help in oversight no less than it
does in operations. A large organization entails legal and  financial
responsibilities. If we are sued, for whatever reason, we cannot  simply throw another
server at the person suing us.

As I understand it, serving on the Board or in some other official  capacity,
such as officer, includes legal responsibility, including liability.  It is
not just the ability to make decisions that comes with a position,  but the
willingness to face the consequences. The issue is not who takes  credit when
things go right, but rather, who takes the blame when something goes  wrong.

This is not an indictment of volunteers. I believe that they are the
lifeblood of this organization. At our size, however, we are faced with enormous
responsibilities. All of these efforts at reorganization are attempts to  channel
volunteer efforts effectively, so that they can continue doing what  they do
best--fulfilling the Foundation's mission statement by creating and
distributing high quality free content resources--while limiting the  repercussions
that the Foundation, and by extension, the volunteers, face when  things do not
go right. This is something that requires professional legal and  financial
knowhow.

Danny