[Foundation-l] announce-l and "Wikizine"?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 05:06:40 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:

> * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself. What's the
> status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be responsible
> for renewing it?

I can see the same problems that arose around the name "wikimania"
happening here. That was an informal name for the conference, but
ended up being what everyone called it, and now we face having to
change a well-known name or spending far too much on getting domain
names and trademarks. We should either make sure we have the rights to
"Wikizine" before its too late, or not call it that. Perhaps this is
something our Legal Officer, Jean-Baptiste Soufron, could advise on?

> * Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I never
> noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing out who
> might be interested?

It was announced on a few mailing lists, but doesn't seem to have
reached many people yet, considering Daily-article-l has 8889 members
compared to just 275 on Wikizine.

Angela.