[Foundation-l] announce-l and "Wikizine"?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 19:25:53 UTC 2006

It seems a couple folks took over the abandoned announce-l mailing list a couple
months ago, sending community updates branded as "Wikizine" on it. The domain
name wikizine.org is being used to redirect to the list subscription page, and
some links & an email address at that domain are used.

http://wikizine.org/
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine

Now, having some actual Wikimedia info on a mailing list is pretty cool. :) But
I've got a couple organizational questions I want to toss out to the broader
community:

* It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself. What's the
status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be responsible
for renewing it?

* I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language Wikizine.
Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?

* Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I never
noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing out who
might be interested?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)